COM 2012-13 Distinguished Teaching Award Nominations
Intent of Award
The College of Medicine Distinguished Teaching Award was established in 1982 to recognize, encourage, and reward superior teachers/educators – those individuals whose command of their respective discipline, teaching methodologies, pervasive caring, communication skills, and commitment to the learning process exemplify the meaning of Teacher/Educator/Mentor in its highest sense. This program is not intended to be a popularity contest; rather, it is designed to distinguish those teachers who maintain high expectations of their students and who insure academic rigor in their teaching. These distinguished educators recognize their responsibility in motivating their students and the relationship of their subject matter and attitude toward the total development of the student.
Recipients of this award will receive an award plaque, monetary award of $3000 and will be recognized by the Dean of Medicine at the College of Medicine Awards and Holiday Reception in December on either the Bryan Campus, Dallas Campus, Round Rock Campus or Temple Campus.
Call for Nominations
The College of Medicine will recognize two faculty members as distinguished medical educators. One faculty member teaching in the basic science years (Years 1 & 2) will be awarded the “R. Kelly Hester Teaching Award for Basic Science Education”. A second faculty member will be recognized from the faculty teaching in the clinical years (Years 3 & 4). Nominations are welcome from students or faculty, but should not be made by the nominee. Please take advantage of this opportunity to recognize the contributions of a deserving member of our faculty!
Criteria for Selection
1) The Nominee must have completed three full years of service to the College.
2) The Nominee must be principal faculty.
3) Previous academic year winners are not eligible for nomination. Thus the following 2011-12 winners are not eligible for nomination this academic year: 1) Wei-Jung Chen, Ph.D., Department of Neurosciences and Experimental Therapeutics and 2) Santosh Reddy, M.D., Department of Internal Medicine.
1) Nominator must complete the Nomination Form on or before Monday, October 1, 2012.
2) Nominator must also solicit at least 2 letters of endorsement, one from a student and one from a faculty member. These letters of endorsement MUST include the signature of the endorser and be e-mailed to Rebecca Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Monday, October 1, 2012.