Texas A&M System Board of Regents Names College of Medicine Temple Auditorium For Frank W. Mayborn
(TEMPLE) The auditorium in the newest campus addition to The Texas A&M University System Health Science Center was named the Frank W. Mayborn Auditorium in action by the Texas A&M System Board of Regents today.
The auditorium seats 330 and is located in the A&M System Health Science Center College of Medicine Education Center at Scott & White in Temple. The name honors long-time community leader and newspaperman Mayborn for his contributions to Scott & White’s facilities in Temple, to creation of the Texas A&M medical school and to the Mayborn Chair, one of 12 centennial chairs in the College of Medicine.
“The late Frank Mayborn is a legendary figure in Central Texas,” said Nancy W. Dickey, M.D., president of The Texas A&M System Health Science Center and vice chancellor for health affairs for the A&M System. “He was incredibly generous, and not just with money. Throughout the years, he gave of his time and his talent, and his wife Sue has continued his leadership and generosity.
“For some time, we have searched for a meaningful way to recognize and honor Frank for his many contributions to Scott & White and to The Texas A&M University System,” Dickey continued. “We are happy to name the auditorium in the Health Science Center College of Medicine Education Center in his memory.”
Mayborn had owned the Temple Daily Telegram since 1929, serving as its business manager, then its editor and publisher until his death in 1987. Considered a communications pioneer, he started a radio station in Temple in 1936 and KCEN-TV, one of Texas’ first television stations, in 1954.
A graduate of the University of Colorado and a U.S. Army veteran — he served on General Dwight D. Eisenhower’s public relations staff during World War II — Mayborn used the power of the press to help develop the Temple-Killeen area. Some of his contributions include bringing Camp Hood to Killeen during the war, then spearheading efforts that developed the camp into a permanent military base, Fort Hood; transforming McCloskey General Hospital, a wartime amputation center, into Olin E. Teague Veterans Center; helping to establish the Brazos River Authority, which has constructed dams along the Brazos River watershed, resulting in reservoirs like Lake Belton and Stillhouse Hollow; marshalling contributions for the Temple Industrial Foundation; and securing Daughon-Miller Army Airport for the City of Temple.
In addition to his work with Scott & White and the A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Mayborn’s interest in education was manifested in his contributions to the founding of Central Texas College near Killeen, his endowment of a chair at Texas Tech University, his service on the journalism advisory boards at both the University of Texas and Texas A&M, and his tenure as a trustee of George Peabody College in Nashville, Tenn.
During his career, Mayborn served as president of the Texas Publishers Association and the Southern Newspaper Publishers Association. His many honors and awards include an honorary doctorate from the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, the Distinguished Citizen Award of the Boy Scouts of America, induction into the Communications Hall of Fame at Texas Tech University, the U.S. Army Bronze Star and the Creighton W. Abrams Medal for contributions as a civilian to the Army.
The Texas A&M University System Health Science Center provides the state with health education, outreach and research. Its five components located in communities throughout Texas are Baylor College of Dentistry, the College of Medicine, the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, the Institute of Biosciences and Technology and the School of Rural Public Health.