Distinguished Teaching Award Nominations
The Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine is now accepting nominations for its 29th annual Distinguished Teaching Award.
Established in 1982 the Distinguished Teaching Award recognizes, encourages and rewards superior teachers and educators—those individuals whose command of their respective discipline, teaching methodologies, pervasive caring, communication skills and commitment to the learning process exemplify the meaning of teacher, educator and mentor in its highest sense.
This program distinguishes those teachers who maintain high expectations of their students and who ensure academic rigor in their teaching. These distinguished educators recognize their responsibility in motivating their students and the relationship of their subject matter and attitude toward the total development of the student.
To date, more than 50 such honors have been bestowed by the College of Medicine.
Call for Nominations
The College of Medicine will recognize two faculty members as distinguished medical educators.
One basic science faculty member will be awarded the “R. Kelly Hester Teaching Award for Basic Science Education.” A second faculty member will be recognized for teaching in the clinical years.
Nominations are welcome from students or faculty, but should not be made by the nominee.
Criteria for Selection
1) The nominee must have completed three full years of service to the College of Medicine.
2) The nominee must be principal faculty.
3) Previous academic year winners are not eligible for nomination. The following 2010-11 winners are not eligible for nomination this academic year: 1) Gerry Frye, Ph.D., Professor, Neuroscience and Experimental Therapeutics; 2) David N. McMurray, Ph.D., Regents Professor, Microbial and Molecular Pathogenesis; 3) Rachel Bramson, M.D., Associate Professor, Family & Community Medicine; and 4) William Koss, M.D., Professor, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine.
1) Nominator must complete the nomination form on or before Monday, November 28.
2) Nominator must solicit at least two letters of endorsement, one from a student and one from a faculty member. Letters of endorsement must include the signature of the endorser and be e-mailed to email@example.com on or before Monday, November 28.
Recipients of this award will receive a plaque, $3,000 and recognition by the Dean at the College of Medicine Awards and Holiday Reception in December on the faculty member’s respective campus.
Awards and Holiday Receptions (locations to be determined)
Bryan: December 14 at 3:00 p.m.
Round Rock: December 15 at 11:00 a.m.
Temple: December 15 at 1:30 p.m.
For more information, contact Rebecca Baker at (979) 436-0218 or firstname.lastname@example.org